Con Edison said that about half of the 33,000 customers in Brooklyn saw power restored Monday morning. Scattered outages kept more than 50,000 customers in the dark throughout parts of the city and Westchester County late Sunday.
Just after 5 a.m., the electric company said more than 30,000 customers had seen their power restored and that the remaining 21,500 would have it back by Monday afternoon.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo slammed the electric company Sunday and said he was deploying state police, generators and light towers to assist.
"We have been through this situation with Con Ed time and again, and they should have been better prepared – period," Cuomo said in a statement. "This was not a natural disaster; there is no excuse for what has happened in Brooklyn."
Cuomo, who ordered an investigation into the blackout in Manhattan earlier in July, said he would widen the probe to include the Brooklyn outage.
Equipment failure caused a five-hour blackout in Manhattan on July 13 that affected 40 blocks from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, Con Edison has said.